If your fridge or freezer door won't stay closed, check out our tips for fixing it...
Why Wont My Fridge Door Stay Closed?
A fridge needs a sealed environment to keep itself cool, and keeping its door closed is the best way to do that. An open door can cause your fridge to work too hard, making it very noisy – and putting your food at risk. Here's our guide to keeping your food chilled...
- Make sure nothing in the fridge is preventing the door from closing. Large plastic bottles and margarine tubs close to the edge are often a culprit.
- Remove heavy items stored in the door.
- Check the door seal (gasket). It needs to be smooth all around the edge of the door and frame. If it’s loose or twisted you may be able to slide it back into place, but it should soon be replaced.
- If the door seal looks fine but the door drifts open, the gasket may be de-magnetised. You will need to get it seal re-magnetised or replaced.
- Something may be obstructing the hinges. Check for debris blocking them.
- If the door looks like it’s not hanging properly the hinges may be out of alignment or worn out. They can be adjusted or replaced.
- Check the hinge pins – do they wobble or move when the door opens? If so, they may need adjusting or replacing.
- Check that your fridge is balanced correctly using a spirit level, Adjust the feet if it isn’t level. The fridge should be a bit lower at the back than the front.
Most of these things are not too difficult or costly to repair. Your machine’s user guide will give you details of how to do any adjustments you can make yourself, but if in doubt consult a fridge repair specialist.
S&D Ireland – Refrigerator Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland are your local refrigerator experts: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Aintree Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Tarleton Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Skelmersdale Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Bootle Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Southport Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01704 779123
Ormskirk Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738