Boxing Day lunch doesn’t need to be Christmas Day’s leftovers. If you prep ahead of time you can make it one of the main events!
Make a Boxing Day Meal With a Difference
Here are some ideas for Boxing Day picking plates! You can buy or make them ahead of time for people to use buffet style.
A Scandinavian smorgasbord
Nobody does Christmas like the Scandinavians. Luckily, their food is delicious. A semi-authentic Scandinavian smorgasbord includes some or all of these:
- * A potato salad with mayo and dill
- * Hard-boiled eggs
- * Meatballs
- * Pickled herring
- * Pickled vegetables
- * Rye bread
- * Salmon gravlax (or smoked salmon)
- * Thinly sliced onion
A mega brunch
Breakfast often doesn’t get a look in at Christmas. So why not make it for Boxing Day?
- * Bacon
- * Croissants and pastries
- * Fresh fruit
- * Hash browns
- * Scrambled or fried eggs
- * Spreads: butter, jams and honey
- * Toast
A hefty charcuterie
If you’re not sick of cheese by the time Boxing Day comes, this is a way to use up cheeseboard leftovers.
- * Cornichons or regular pickles
- * Crusty French bread
- * Cured meats (like prosciutto, salami, chorizo, sobrasada)
- * Fresh and dried fruit
- * Hard cheeses (like Gouda, Havarti, Provolone)
- * Olives, stuffed or plain
- * Paté
- * Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert)
- * Tapenades
A sandwich-making station
Great for picky eaters: everyone can assemble their own sandwich! You can make your own fillings or simply use pre-prepared store-bought sandwich spreads.
- * Cheese (like cheddar, mozzarella, or American-style slices)
- * Coronation chicken
- * Cucumber
- * Lettuce
- * Meat slices (ham, roast chicken, or turkey)
- * Onion slices
- * Pickles
- * Sauces: mayo, ketchup, mustard and branston pickle
- * A seafood cocktail
- * Tomato
- * Tuna mayo crunch
- * And of course, whatever bread takes your fancy!
Happy Boxing Day!
S&D Ireland – Oven Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local oven experts: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Aintree Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Tarleton Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Skelmersdale Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Bootle Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Southport Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01704 779123
Ormskirk Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738