Your fridge freezer is probably the hardest-working appliance in your kitchen. Make sure you have it set to the right temperature to keep your food fresh.
What Temperature Should My Fridge Be?
- The ideal fridge temperature is 3°C to 5°C.
- Your freezer temperature should be at -18°C.
- It takes about 24 hours for your fridge to adjust if you change the thermostat.
How to take your fridge’s temperature
If you want to check your fridge freezer temperatures and it does not have a temperature readout, the easiest way is with a thermometer:
- Place the thermometer in a glass of water
- Leave it in the fridge overnight
- Check the temperature as soon as you open the door in the morning
- Place the thermometer between some bags of frozen vegetables
- Leave it overnight
- Check the temperature reading in the morning
Is your fridge on its last legs?
Do you need a new fridge freezer? Look out for these signs:
- Your food gets frozen in the fridge
- Your food is warm when you get it out of the fridge
- Ice is forming on the walls of the fridge
- Ice is melting in the freezer
- Your food goes off before its expiry dates
- There’s condensation on the outside of the fridge
What should I do next?
Your fridge freezer might just need love and attention. Try these troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure the thermostat set right– it easily can be knocked
- Double check the plug, socket and electrical supply are all working #
- If you can’t hear a humming, or you get a loud vibration, the compressor fan may need replacing
- Clear around the fridge so the fans aren’t blocked
- Give your freezer a thorough defrost to remove excess ice
S&D Ireland – Refrigerator Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland are your local refrigerator experts: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Aintree Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Tarleton Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Skelmersdale Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Bootle Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Southport Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01704 779123
Ormskirk Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738