Limescale (calcium carbonate) is a milky residue left behind after you boil water. It’s tough stuff, so it is difficult to remove from your kettle or coffee machine.
How to Descale Small Kitchen Appliances
So how do you dissolve limescale? Read on:
How to dissolve limescale in a kettle:
The easiest way is to buy some commercial kettle descaler:
- * Dilute the cleaner with water (as per instructions) and pour it into your kettle.
- * Boil the kettle.
- * Leave it while the product gets to work on the limescale.
- * Rinse the kettle and treat yourself to a cuppa!
Can I descale with vinegar?
- * Yes, you can! Fill the kettle three-quarters full with equal parts of water and white vinegar.
- * Boil the mixture and allow it to cool down.
- * Pour the water out and rinse the kettle thoroughly.
- * Boil it again with just water and tip it away
- * If you don’t have white vinegar, try lemon juice or a few teaspoons of baking soda.
How to prevent limescale in your kettle
Prevention is better than cure, so here are some steps to take to stop the build-up of limescale.
- * Descale the kettle every month to stop it from building up.
- * Use a water filter jug to fill the kettle,
- * Use a descaler ball. Pop it in your kettle and it stops the build-up of limescale.
- * Get a kettle with a limescale filter.
How to descale a coffee machine
- * Try one of the solutions above and pour the mixture into the water tank of the coffee machine.
- * Start a standard brewing cycle so the descaler flows through all of the coffee machine’s pipes.
- * Halfway through the brew cycle, turn the machine off and leave for an hour.
- * Now rinse the machine by repeating step 2 using clean water.
- * Repeat this couple of times so the descaler gets flushed out.
S&D Ireland – Kitchen Appliance Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local kitchen appliance expert: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Aintree Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Tarleton Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Skelmersdale Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Bootle Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Southport Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01704 779123
Ormskirk Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738