Because your washing machine makes clothes clean, you might think it would keep itself clean too. But sadly not.
How to Clean a Washing Machine
The great thing about washing clothes at lower temperatures is that it saves energy and cuts down your environmental impact. The downside is that dirt and mould can build up in a washing machine.
- * The piece of rubber between the drum and door – the door seal – is a great place for mould to grow. Gently pull back the flaps and clean it with a damp cloth.
- * Open the detergent drawer and you’ll usually see some residue from liquids and powders.
- * It may seem odd that the place that cleans your clothes – the drum - can get dirty. But washing machine drums can cause smells – so make sure to check it.
- * If your washing machine has a filter, it’s important to clean it. It catches any loose bits that come out in the wash – so remove it and clean it periodically. Make sure you turned your washing machine off first!
Lots of washing machines have self-cleaning programmes so use these before you try anything else. If yours doesn’t have a self-cleaning cycle, you can clean it yourself with special cleaning products. Or, for a homemade option, try cleaning the washing machine with vinegar. Just pour a couple of cups of distilled vinegar into the detergent drawer and run it on a hot wash.
Here are some tips to keep your clean machine in tip-top condition…
- * Leave the door open between washes
- * Run the machine empty on a hot wash once per month
- * Reduce limescale by using the right detergent
- * Clean the door seal regularly – mould can eat into the rubber
S&D Ireland –Washing Machine Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local washing machine expert: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Washing Machine Repairs Southport Call 01704 779 123
Washing Machine Repairs Bootle Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Maghull Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Kirkby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Crosby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Formby Call 01704 779 123