Everyone has their own way of loading a dishwasher, but is there a right or wrong way to stack the pots and pans in this ubiquitous appliance?
How To Load a Dishwasher
For such a simple task, it causes all sorts of family feuds and can even lead to secret re-stacking sessions after the family has gone to bed.
Check for Dishwasher-Safe Items
Although you can clean most of your dinnerware in a dishwasher, some items should only ever be washed by hand – otherwise, you could damage them, or even your machine. This includes crystal, china, cast iron, copper and wooden items.
Load the Bottom of The Dishwasher First
- * Plates and dishes: Load these into the slots facing inwards, so the dirty side faces the water flow
- * Pots, pans, and casserole dishes: Face them downwards and avoid overcrowding them or stacking them up
- * Roasting tins and baking trays: Place these along the sides and back of the machine.
Load Your Dishwashers’ Cutlery Basket
Most dishwashers have a separate basket for cutlery in the bottom rack:
- * Make sure forks and spoons don’t get nested together
- * Put your knives in blades downwards so sharp edges are out of harm’s way
- * Lay utensils with long, thin handles down on the top rack
- * Keep silverware and steel separate, to prevent tarnishing.
Load the Top of Your Dishwasher Last
As a rule, cups and glasses go in the dishwasher’s top drawer. We recommend placing small bowls on the top shelf too.
- * Cups and bowls: Angle these so the water can drain
- * Glasses: Place along the side of the drawer for a gentler wash
- * Drinkware: Avoid placing these on the prongs – it can lead to water spots. Ensure wine glasses aren’t touching each other to reduce the risk of them shattering.
- * Dishwasher-safe plastic items should go on the top shelf. The heating element is normally at the bottom, so plastic is less likely to melt when it’s at the top.
S&D Ireland – Dishwasher Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local dishwasher expert: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Dishwasher Repairs Southport Call 01704 779 123
Dishwasher Repairs Maghull Call 0151 601 7150
Dishwasher Repairs Formby Call 01704 779 123
Dishwasher Repairs Kirkby Call 0151 601 7150
Dishwasher Repairs Bootle Call 0151 601 7150
Dishwasher Repairs Crosby Call 0151 601 7150