If you've ever had a stale, musty smell in your washing machine drum, dirt is probably to blame. Even though you use your washer to clean things, it needs to be cleaned from time to time.
We recommend deep cleaning your washing machine every month.
How to Clean a Washing Machine
Luckily, it is quick and easy to clean a washing machine. Here's what to do:
* Run a cycle: Many modern models have a dedicated cleaning cycle - all you need to do is add detergent.
* If your washer does not have such a cycle, add half a cup of bleach to the dispenser or fill it to the max line and run a hot cycle. If you prefer, you can use a special cleaner.
* Bleach will kill bacteria and mould but may not dissolve other substances. Washing machine cleaners have special ingredients that rid the machine of grease and mineral build-ups, too.
* Perform an extra rinse and spin after the cleaning cycle is done to ensure any traces of bleach are washed away.
* Clean the dispenser drawer: pop it out and rinse it under hot water. Use an old, soft toothbrush to dislodge dirt. Wipe it dry and reinsert it into the machine.
* Wipe down the rubber door gasket and dry it thoroughly to prevent mould.
* Wipe the inside of the drum and the door, too, then leave it open to dry.
How to Deal With a Smelly Washing Machine
- * As well as cleaning monthly, always leave the machine door ajar when not in. This lets air circulate to remove any remaining moisture.
- * Remove clean clothes as soon as the cycle ends.
- * Remove debris or pet hair with a vacuum first.
- * Dry the gasket and check no items like coins or socks are trapped in there.
S&D Ireland – Washing machine Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local washing machine expert: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Washing Machine Repairs Southport Call 01704 779 123
Washing Machine Repairs Bootle Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Maghull Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Kirkby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Crosby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Formby Call 01704 779 123