Manufacturers build their appliances to last; that is why so many of them offer guarantees of up to five years. However, with a little effort, you can prolong the lifespan of your product, even more, keep it running efficiently, and save money.
Cleaning Your Freezer
Avoid a frosty reception from your freezer by defrosting it when the ice inside gets to around 3centimetres thick. Safety first! Before you begin cleaning it, ensure your freezer is unplugged from the mains.
Here is how to defrost a freezer like a pro:
- Empty out the contents of the freezer. If you do not have access to a cool box, you can always wrap the food in a newspaper and store it somewhere cool – for example, the closed fridge – along with a couple of packs of ice cubes.
- Turn off the freezer, leaving the door open to allow the ice to melt. It is worth putting a baking tray on the bottom shelf of the freezer to catch water and to regularly remove and replace it. Placing a bowl of hot water inside the freezer on top of a tea towel can also help the freezer to defrost quicker.
- Never use a sharp object to remove the ice. It risks damaging the cooling elements and the finish of your freezer.
- Take out and clean all the shelves and drawers in ith hot soapy water, then gently clean the freezer interior with a cloth soaked in a mixture of equal parts warm water and white vinegar.
- Dry the freezer off with a tea towel, shut the door, and turn it back on! Check that the temperature has got down to -18°C before putting any food back inside. For food safety reasons, never refreeze defrosted food.
S&D Ireland – Freezer Sales and Repairs
S&D Ireland is your local freezer expert: Call us today to find out more about our range of appliances and repair services.
Aintree Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Tarleton Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Skelmersdale Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738
Bootle Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 0151 6017150
Southport Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01704 779123
Ormskirk Domestic Appliance Repairs Call 01695 768738