Cleaning your clothes can take a toll on the environment – so here are some tips to reduce your impact on the planet.
Laundry Products Tips to Save Money and Reduce Environmental Impact
Laundry products such as detergents and softeners contain chemicals. Like any chemicals, sometimes these can trigger reactions in some people such as skin and eye irritation, allergic reactions and asthma. Chemicals can also damage the environment, and some have harmful long-term effects.
- Products made from corn, coconut, and soy can create a gentle cleaning action and have a much lower impact on the environment compared to traditional products like alkylphenol ethoxylates (APEs).
- Instead of using a chlorine-based product to bleach your clothes, use a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner instead. It breaks down into water and oxygen which are safe. Also consider sodium percarbonate, which is made by combining hydrogen peroxide with sodium carbonate – both of these will brighten whites just as effectively as chlorine. Chlorine, while widely used, can irritate your lungs, eyes, and mucous membranes.
- Try to buy products that use natural citrus oils or other essential oils. This is because the chemicals that are used to give conventional laundry detergents, dryer sheets and fabric softeners their scents are often made from petroleum. This substance can irritate your skin and can trigger allergic reactions and asthma.
- Instead of using dryer sheets, choose natural fabric softeners containing vegetable-based ingredients and essential oils to make your clothes soft and fragrant the natural way.
- As an alternative to dryer sheets, add a quarter of a cup of baking soda or a quarter of a cup of white vinegar to your wash.
S&D Ireland: Domestic Appliance Repairs
At S&D Ireland, our local network of fully qualified repair technicians turn up ready to work with many of the most common replacement parts they might need. We always attempt to fix your domestic appliance on our first visit. Give us a call to find out more about our domestic appliance repair services, or to arrange for your visit from a repair service engineer.
Washing Machine Repairs Southport Call 01704 779 123
Washing Machine Repairs Bootle Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Maghull Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Kirkby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Crosby Call 0151 601 7150
Washing Machine Repairs Formby Call 01704 779 123